Vocational Rehabilitation Director
State of Tennessee
Position Description / Responsibilities
Division of Rehabilitation Services is accepting resumes for the position of Director, Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) Program. The VR program is a federal and state funded program that seeks to provide employment-focused services for individuals with disabilities consistent with their strengths, priorities, and resources with the ultimate goal of competitive, integrated employment through a customer centered approach.
Under the general supervision of the Assistant Commissioner of the Division of Rehabilitation Services, the VR Director serves as the statewide leader of the VR program providing strategic vision, programmatic expertise, and state and federal compliance in the operation of the VR program while maintaining a high level of accountability. The VR Director is responsible for the planning, organizing, directing and overall day to day administration of the VR program and provides leadership for an interdisciplinary team of over 400 professional and support staff statewide that are responsible for helping the program carry out its mission through key program functions including: field operations, business services, and transition services. The VR Director is required to help alleviate audit findings
Additionally, in collaboration with the Assistant Commissioner and other key leaders, the VR Director is responsible for leading change and setting a vision that is dynamic, meets the needs of both individual and business customers that includes the development and implementation of the VR portion of the state's Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) 4-year state plan and developing strong professional relationships with strategic partners.
- Provide leadership, guidance, and direction for the provision of VR services statewide.
- Evaluate and provide oversight of the VR program's performance, structure, and staffing to achieve program goals including meeting the needs of students and adults with disabilities, the business community, local school systems, and stakeholders.
- Maintain a system of professional development that attracts and retains a staff of highly qualified professionals for the delivery of high-quality VR services.
- Oversee the development and implementation of statewide policies and procedures necessary to support the administration of VR services and compliance with the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA).
- Support the design and development of program evaluation tools that regularly monitor program performance and align with the common performance measures outlined in the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
- Establish, maintain, and strengthen relationships with state and other workforce partners including the Departments of Education, Economic and Community Development (ECD), Labor and Workforce Development (DLWD), Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (DIDD), Mental Health and Substance Abuse (DMHSAS), and the Division of TennCare.
- Bachelor's degree in social services, human services, counseling, special education or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
- Four (4) years of professional level experience in program administration or a closely related activity. Two years of which includes successfully leading and supervising other senior and/or mid-level managers.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex federal and state regulations and program requirements.
- Prior experience managing large budgets, contracts, and provider agreements.
- Experience communicating and presenting information to large groups, including stakeholders, community partners and customers.