VP, Marketing & Communications
Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce
Position Description / Responsibilities
Briefly describe this position’s primary purpose or role.
This position is responsible for overseeing the marketing and communications department, including branding, public relations, social media, advertising and collateral materials, web design and content and budget management. This position develops and drives an integrated external and internal marketing and communications strategy that supports the strategic goals and objectives of the Chamber. Additionally, this position serves as the primary spokesperson for the organization, ensuring a proactive public relations and communications strategy.
Leadership and Management Activities:
- Leads the marketing and communications team; supports team member development, including hiring, training, promotion and reviews.
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentors and develops team members using a supportive and collaborative approach.
- Establishes and monitors staff performance and development goals, assigns accountabilities, sets objectives and establishes priorities.
- Oversees the development, integration and implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership.
- Builds an appropriate marketing and communications structure that provides coordination and efficiency of marketing and messaging across all internal departments.
- Develops the marketing and communications annual strategy and budget under supervision of the Chief Growth Officer.
- Manages day-to-day marketing and communications budget and department activities.
- Serves as central project manager and liaison between internal event and program managers and the marketing communications team members, coordinating collateral development activities.
Public Relations Activities:
- Serves as spokesperson for the Chamber and acts as primary entry point for media inquiries.
- Manages Chamber responses to issues affecting the Nashville region.
- Maintains Chamber relationships with local, regional and national media.
- Along with executive office, maintains relationships with the Chamber’s public relations agency (if applicable), including the workflow for projects and public relations efforts.
- Manages all news releases and advisories, including economic development announcements.
- Develops media plans, pitches stories to media, coordinates interviews, creates and maintains media lists, researches media opportunities and builds relationships with key media outlets/contacts.
- Tracks daily news articles that pertain to the Chamber, maintaining an archive of news coverage.
- Coordinates the production of annual Nashville Economic Profile magazine with Journal Communications.
- Prepares presentations given by Chamber CEO and other key staff members as needed.
- Keeps track of all speaking engagements and schedule as needed.
- Writes background memos, presentations and remarks for Chamber events as needed.
- Gathers content and ensure consistent messaging for digital and print ads.
- Proofs digital and print messaging with an emphasis on consistency of message.
Marketing and Communications Activities:
- Develops and drives an integrated external and internal marketing and communications strategy that supports the strategic goals and objectives of the Chamber.
- Promotes, enhances, advances and protects the Chamber’s brand reputation.
- Broadens awareness of Chamber programs and priorities; increases the visibility of programs and initiatives across key stakeholder audiences; advances the Chamber’s position with relevant constituents and drives broader awareness and support for the organization.
- Initiates and conducts communications consultations with project managers for all major Chamber events and marketing activities, securing needed information from project managers and communicating with marketing and communications team about project specifications.
- Keeps projects flowing through department and manages timelines and budgets for communications projects.
- Ensures execution of marketing and communication plans through effective leadership of the marketing and communications department.
- Leverages external advertising, branding, marketing and PR firms in alignment with Chamber brand values and strategic goals.
- Works with the leadership team to develop critical marketing and branding plans and materials.
- Develops and tracks metrics and criteria for all marketing and communications activities.
- Provides quality control for concepts and projects. Evaluates project outcomes in a marketing and communications debrief as established during a planning phase.
- Reviews and revises marketing and communications policies, protocols, procedures and best practices for the organization.
Creative Direction Activities:
- Establishes creative direction for the entire line of services and programs, designed to reflect theChamber’s persona and generate optimal impact in messaging.
- Leads all visual concept development, branding and user experience, including execution ofintegrated advertising and marketing campaigns for both internal and external audiences.
- Develops and directs creative concepts that meet the Chamber’s objectives and advances thebrand strategy in all facets, from event themes to traditional and digital media.
- Oversees development of all Chamber print and digital communications, marketing collateral and electronic communications including websites and digital media; oversees relationships with associated vendors.
- Supervises creative design and directs visual images that communicate the organization's marketing messages relevant to Chamber audiences.
- Supervises all communications projects from concept through completion.
- Audits Chamber marketing and communications materials.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS: What specialized, technical, or practical knowledge, skills, experience or abilities are
needed to perform the job. (Include degrees, certificates, licenses, or other bona fide job qualifications.)
A. KNOWLEDGE/EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, marketing, or a related field is required.
• Minimum of 10 years of experience in a similar role, either in-house or with an agency.
• Established track record in community development and engagement, social media, marketing,
communications, public relations and media relations.
• Experience in building, mentoring and coaching a team of communications specialists.
• Extensive writing and editing experience with a variety of print and online communications media.
• Familiarity with Associated Press journalistic style.
• Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive communications, media
relations and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals.
• Experience with both traditional marketing techniques as well as cutting edge tools.
• Proficiency with digital technologies and social media tools and an understanding of how to
incorporate them into the Chamber’s communications strategies.
• Experience in media/public relations, strategic planning, communications consulting, speech
writing, and PR agency management.
• Experience in crisis management and communication.
B. SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
• Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills including negotiation and conflict
• Strong writing and proofreading skills are essential.
• Exemplary customer-service skills, including the ability to meet deadlines and respond quickly to
changing workplace needs.
• Must be an effective public speaker (media, internal audiences, external audiences, etc.).
• Strong relationship-building skills and organizational skills required.
• Must be committed to working as part of a team and establishing strong internal and external
• Experience with the Macintosh platform, Adobe Creative Suite Web & Design, CSS, HTML, Java,
photography and video editing are preferred.
C. ABILITIES REQUIRED (work characteristics, behaviors, leadership abilities, etc.):
• Innovative thinker with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and
output; creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be used.
• Ability to effectively interface with senior leadership, Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce’s
Board of Directors, staff and target audiences; excellent and persuasive communicator.
• Collaborative approach and appreciation/enjoyment working as part of a team.
• Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
• Exceptional organizational abilities and attention to detail and project and time management.
• Demonstrated ability to manage often outsourced marketing activities such as public relations,
website and graphic design.
• Passion for Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce’s mission.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and work sample to email@example.com. No phone inquiries please.