VP of Regional Policy
Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce
Community & Nonprofit
Position Description / Responsibilities
JOB TITLE: VP of Regional Policy
REPORTS TO: Chief Policy Officer
Theater and home base of position: Policy
FLSA CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
JOB TITLES OF DIRECT REPORTS:
• Vice President of Research
• Coordinator of Applied Research
• Coordinator of Applied Research
Leadership in the Chamber’s relationships, efforts, initiatives and programs in regional policy, representing the 14 county Middle Tennessee region served by the Chamber. Leadership of special projects on behalf of the Chamber including, but not limited to, Vital Signs and Moving Forward.
• Work closely with the Chief Policy Officer to create and implement a regional policy agenda.
• Expand relationships with regional partners (including, but not limited to, elected officials, non-profits with regional scope, member volunteers, and partner chambers and economic development entities) to implement the regional policy agenda. Lobbying of regional elected officials as needed to achieve the regional policy agenda.
• Represent the organization in a variety of public and private settings, including appropriate presentations to civic, public, and private organizations.
• Coordinate the Chamber’s activities with the activities of other organizations to maintain maximum effectiveness.
• Oversee and assist with the completion of special projects and critical core function of the Policy Theatre including the regional portion of the legislative agenda, Vital Signs and Moving Forward.
• Oversee regional-level PACs including, but not limited to, transportation-related PACs.
A. KNOWLEDGE/EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Must be a graduate of an accredited university with an advanced degree preferred.
• Three or more years experience with a proven track record in public policy or public affairs.
• Knowledge of transportation/transit/mobility policies and strategies preferred.
• A demonstrated passion for Middle Tennessee and a commitment to ensuring that business concerns are represented in regional policy decisions.
B. SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Ability to quickly identify critical issues and develop plans and programs to accomplish objectives
• Leadership style that creates trust, enthusiasm, and confidence
• Positive approach
• Excellent reasoning and problem solving skills
• Professional maturity
• Strong strategic planning capabilities
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Outstanding interpersonal relations skills
C. ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Ability to work with diverse constituencies
• Consensus builder with the ability to form coalitions among differing viewpoints
• Ability to function as a hands-on leader
• Demonstrated ability in public speaking
• Ability to demonstrate balance in perspective – understands and supports the values of the Chamber while respecting the values of all points of view
SUPERVISION: Check the most appropriate percentage of time devoted to supervisory duties and ensure supervisory responsibilities are appropriately described as an essential function if applicable:
80% or more
50% to 80%
X Less than 50%
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities
75% of time is spent in decision making activities that significantly affect the Policy Theatre and/or the organization
Participates in developing and adhering to the Policy Theatre budget.
Oversees the development of and adherence to the Research budget.
Role in revenue-generation for the Chamber.
Project management is a consistent and on-going aspect of this position. The VP of Regional Policy works closely with the Chief Policy Officer in developing and implementing projects, specific products and initiatives.
Typically sitting at a desk or table
Occasional lifting of light objects (less than 24 pounds)
Intermittently walking, standing, bending and carrying
Requires use of safe work practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire regulations
Manual dexterity, visual and auditory acuity needed
Some repetitive motion is involved
Work is performed in an office computer room
Work requires visits to other businesses in the Middle Tennessee region
Position requires travel out of the local area less than 5%
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; other duties may be assigned. The Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises.
To apply for the position, please email cover letter, resume and a policy-related writing sample to email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No phone inquiries, please.