Business & Professional Services , Marketing, Communications & Information Technology
Position Description / Responsibilities
Are you looking for a great career with a growing company where you can make an impact and be part of an exciting team? If combining your love for software engineering, passion for web development, and talent around WordPress sounds like an ideal job for you, you've found the right place!
We are looking for a talented software engineer who has ample experience maintaining and modifying WordPress for our 30+ high traffic websites with custom themes, plugins, and web services. We have an “always learning” culture driven to improve as both individuals and as a team. If you are interested in being challenged, learning full-stack development, exploring DevOps, then TechnologyAdvice may be the next step in your career.
We are a Scrum-based engineering team focused on web technologies that strives to deliver business value quickly. Our team culture values the ideas and contributions of all members. We trust each other to maintain a high level ownership in our work, and always see things through to completion. We also like to have a bit of fun. When you’re not creating or maintaining business-critical software systems, you might be in a technical book club, participating in a hack-a-thon, or sharing your favorite hobbies over Slack.
The WordPress Engineer plays a vital role in our business and on our team. You will be responsible for:
- Migrating sites from other platforms into our WordPress platforms
- Developing and maintaining plugins that extend the functionality of WordPress to meet the needs of the business
- Customizing and maintaining WordPress themes
- Monitoring our WordPress sites and services to meet uptime requirements
- Measuring and optimizing our WordPress instances to ensure high-performance of sites
- Performing administrative maintenance of our WordPress instances
You can expect to operate in the following technologies on a day to day basis:
You probably have some of the following skills and experience:
- 2+ years of experience maintaining and extending WordPress sites
- Experience developing WordPress plugins or contributing to WordPress core
- Experience developing or customizing WordPress themes
- Experience interacting with RESTful APIs and formats (JSON, XML)
- Comfortable working with debugging tools like Firebug, Chrome inspector, etc.
- Comfortable working with MySQL, importing and exporting data, and optimizing database queries.
- Ability to understand CSS changes and their ramifications to ensure consistent style across platforms and browsers
- Experience migrating sites from other platforms into WordPress is a plus
- Experience monitoring and optimizing WordPress sites is a plus
- Experience with various caching systems and content-delivery networks is a plus
- Excellent programming, testing and debugging skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills