Apprenticeships to Expand Talent Pipeline for Hotels and Restaurants
Nashville State Community College is expanding its commitment to meet the local hospitality industry’s demand for a pipeline of talent. The College is partnering with hotels, restaurants and other hospitality organizations in Middle Tennessee to offer a variety of U.S. Department of Labor registered apprenticeship programs in culinary, pastry, and in hospitality management with a lodging management or restaurant management specialization.
The Randy Rayburn School of Culinary Arts at Nashville State Community College has been working with the American Culinary Federation (ACF), Hospitality TN, National Restaurant Association (NRA), and the American Hotel and Lodging Educational Institute (AHLEI) to develop 10 different apprenticeship programs. The first of these apprenticeships, the ACF Certified Sous Chef apprenticeship, was rolled out this Fall Semester 2020. There are 8 culinary apprentices currently participating in the Certified Sous Chef apprenticeship, working at either Gaylord Opryland Resort and Convention Center or the Grand Hyatt Nashville.
Supervising chefs at each facility lead the on-the-job training aspect of the apprenticeship program, with the College’s culinary and hospitality faculty leading the classroom instruction. Below are 10 apprenticeship programs Nashville State Community College is currently seeking candidates and hospitality and culinary industry partners.
- ACF Certified Fundamental Cook apprenticeship, a 6-month/1,000-hour program aligned with one semester of related technical instruction aligned with a 16-credit hour Technical Certificate in Culinary Arts.
- ACF Certified Culinarian apprenticeship, a 1-year/2,000-hour program aligned with the 30-hour Technical Certificate in Culinary Arts.
- ACF Certified Sous Chef apprenticeship, a 2-year/4,000-hour program aligned with the Associate of Applied Science degree (A.A.S.) in Culinary Arts.
- ACF Certified Working Pastry Chef apprenticeship, a 2-year program/4,000-hour program aligned with the A.A.S. in Culinary Arts with a specialization in Pastry.
- NRA Certified Restaurant Professional apprenticeship, a 6-month/1,072-hour program aligned with one semester of related technical instruction.
- NRA Certified Restaurant Supervisor apprenticeship, a 1-year/2,260-hour program aligned with the Technical Certificate in Hospitality Management with a Restaurant Specialization
- NRA Certified Restaurant Manager apprenticeship, a 2-year/2,380-hour program aligned with the A.A.S. in Hospitality Management with a Restaurant Specialization.
- AHLEI Certified Guest Service Professional, a 4-month/500-hour program aligned with one semester of related technical instruction.
- AHLEI Certified Hospitality Supervisor, a 9-month/1,000-hour program aligned with the Technical Certificate in Hospitality Management with a Lodging Specialization.
- AHLEI Certified Lodging Manager, a 22-month/2,000-hour program aligned with the A.A.S. degree in Hospitality Management with a Lodging Specialization.
Interested in Being an Employer Partner?
Nashville State Community College is in search of industry partners to host culinary, pastry, restaurant service/management, and/or lodging service/management apprentices and/or becoming a training site for restaurant and lodging management apprentices. If your business is interested in learning more about any of the apprenticeship programs described above and/or existing employees would benefit from additional training to advance in your business, please contact Dina Starks at Nashville State Community College at Dina.Starks@nscc.edu.
Interested in a Culinary or Hospitality Apprenticeship?
Apply for admission to Nashville State Community College (NSCC). Grants, including tuition-free for upcoming high school graduates and adults, scholarships, and other forms of financial assistance available for students. NSCC will connect you with an employer partner for this “earn-and-learn” opportunity. Contact Dina Starks at Nashville State Community College at Dina.Starks@nscc.edu with questions regarding the apprenticeships.
Need support navigating a return to school?
Tennessee Reconnect Navigators can assist you. Complete this form and a Navigator will be assigned to you based on your location.