MNPS Prepares for an Unconventional First Day of School
The first week of school will look a little different this year. As you and your family are preparing for an unconventional start to the academic year, make sure you have looked through the resources Metro Nashville Public Schools has pulled together to help students and families navigate the first few days of school.
Some things to know:
- The school year will begin with every student in a virtual learning environment through at least Labor Day.
- The virtual learning platforms for the district are Microsoft Teams and Schoology. A standard curriculum from the Florida Virtual School will be used. Students will spend 2.5 to 3 hours a day in live sessions with teachers.
- On July 28, the district began distributing devices and Wi-Fi hotspots to students who need them. Over the course of the school year, the district will move to a 1:1 computing district. Expanded help desk support will be available through Metro Schools Tech Support.
- Meal distribution (breakfast and lunch) begins on August 4 – the first day of school.
- Schools will distribute instructional materials and school supplies beginning the week of August 10. Families will be able to drive-through pick up. A list of tentative supply items schools may provide is available on the Materials page on the virtual learning playbook.
- The first few weeks of school will focus on social-emotional learning and helping students and families become familiar with the learning and teaching technologies.
- Families are encouraged to respond to the MNPS Family Preference Survey, which asks for updated contact information, an idea about whether families may select virtual and in-person instruction when it is safe enough to open school buildings, provide student guidance on where to access devices or hotspots.
Resources for Families:
Virtual Learning Playbook
This Virtual Learning Playbook is intended to provide information to parents regarding how school will operate during the 2020-2021 school year.
Resources for Families
First Weeks of School
Ready for Virtual Learning Session
Parents looking for some guidance in preparing for schools can check out an additional virtual learning session this week hosted by MNPS Student Services and Academic Teams. Meeting date, time and hyperlink: Thursday, August 6 at 6:15 p.m.
- Setting up your virtual learning space at home
- Rituals before entering the school day
- Digital Citizenship
- Creating schedules for at-home learning
- Supporting your child’s transition to virtual learning
- Using Mindfulness to Teach and Practice Regulation
- Supporting Adult Wellness: Putting Self-Care First