Nashville is home to a diverse health care cluster with leaders in a number of industry niches that impact the health care landscape locally, nationally and internationally. More than 250 health care companies are headquartered in the Nashville region, making health care the region's largest industry. Seventeen publicly traded health care companies call Nashville home, with combined employment of nearly 400,000 and $70 billion in global revenue. The health care industry is also the region's largest and fastest-growing employer, directly employing more than 250,000 locally. Download our health care target industry brochure.
“As one of the health care capitals of the world, Nashville is a city with unparalleled diversity of health care companies, leaders in innovation, and an expanding impact on the global industry landscape. We continue to invest in strategies that support industry growth, positioning us well for the decades ahead.”
Nashville's Health Care Industry
- Health care workers represent one in every eight jobs in Nashville.
- Ninety-five percent of Nashville Health Care Council CEOs indicate a Nashville headquarters location is important to their company's success.
- Nashville's health care industry creates $13 billion in personal income.
- Seventy percent of beds in for-profit hospitals are managed out of the Nashville region.
- Nashville's health care industry has a $38.8 billion economic impact on local economy every year.
- The Nashville health care industry accounts for an estimated $1.5 billion in state and local taxes.
- The health care industry is Nashville's largest employer, accounting for 250,000 jobs locally.
- There are 17 publicly traded health care companies in the Nashville region.
Health Care Industry Workforce
SOURCE: BUREAU OF LABOR STATISTICS, 2016
|OCCUPATION||NASHVILLE||# OF EMPLOYEES||AUSTIN||# OF EMPLOYEES||ATLANTA||# OF EMPLOYEES||CHARLOTTE||# OF EMPLOYEES||DENVER||# OF EMPLOYEES|
|Home health aides||$10.44||1,750||$9.34||2,840||$10.88||5,090||$9.09||8,890||$12.15||9,310|
|OCCUPATION||NASHVILLE||# OF EMPLOYEES||INDIANAPOLIS||# OF EMPLOYEES||PHOENIX||# OF EMPLOYEES||RALEIGH||# OF EMPLOYEES||TAMPA||# OF EMPLOYEES|
|Home health aides||$10.44||1,750||$11.17||5,190||$10.99||10,770||$10.56||3,250||$10.43||3,020|
For more information or assistance with your site selection process, please contact a member of our economic development team.
For more information about the Nashville Health Care Council, please visit healthcarecouncil.com.